Friday 4 June 2010

Untamed (House of Night) by P.C. Cast + Kristen Cast Book Review

Genre: Paranormal Romance and Fantasy
Age: 13+
Pages: 338
Gender: Female
Publication Year: 2008

Plot: 2.5/5
Description: 5/5
Characters: 3.5/5
Developed: 3/5
Fast Paced: 5/5
Cover: 2.5/3
Memorable: +0

Total: 21.5/28
Percent: 77%
Grade: C

   I really did not have high expectations for this book. I actually just read it to give me some variety. I started this book the day it came out, which was a while ago but I couldn't get past page one hundred, so I restarted it. Well, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but it wasn't absolutely horrible. As you can see it is the lowest grade I have given since my new non-strict grading system. But still I guess the grade isn't that bad, it is passing. 

   I obviously did not like the plot at all. Well, it just seemed, well cheesy. It is the fourth book in the House of Night series. In the last book, if I remember right she had three boyfriends. One human, Heath. One fellow fledgling, Erik. One vampyre, Loren. Well she was imprinted with Heath. Then she did the nasty with Loren, so the imprint broke making Heath upset, then while she was doing the nasty Erik came in and saw her. Then soon after Zoey figured out that Loren really loved Neferet, the really evil High Priestess, and that Neferet set up the whole relationship to get Zoey's friends mad at her. So all three boyfriends were ticked off at her. (That was all from the third book Chosen, so you really should read the first three books before you read this one.) Well, in Untamed, all her boyfriends are mad at her, and then this new apparently hot kid named Stark, who when shooting an arrow can never miss which is bad because he killed his mentor (well not in the story it just says so). Zoey feels attracted to him, how obvious. So she gets really upset when his body rejects the change into a vampyre and he dies. But no, he might not die, he could come back as a red fledging, how good for Zoey. Also Neferet is brewing up some trouble, first Zoey sees this crow like thing that hurts here arm, but don't worry it heals quickly, and it throws her into another big mess, mostly to do with a very old Cherokee legend. But with the help of her friends she might be able to solve everything. There is also a side plot about her boyfriend issues too.

   I liked the description in this book, yes they used ultra modern phrases constantly to describe things, but there is nothing wrong with that. I loved how they described the Raven Mockers: a creature that existed only because of ancient rape and evil. That was a quote from the book. Cool huh? Well, anyway I liked how they described things in this book, a lot. Though there was limited amount of intelligent use of words, most good vocab came from Damien.

   I liked all the main characters excluding one, the main character, Zoey. I just hate her so much, she is so disgusting and she still thinks she is right. You see, Erik was being nice to her in the last book by letting her still kind of be in a relationship with Heath, but then she gets all gross with Loren, and then thinks that she should forgive Erik for being mad at her. She is just so..... ew. If it wasn't for her this book might of been able to pull off a B-. Anyway I liked the diversity in characters, it is always nice to read a book that shows gay people in a good light, because they can't help being gay it is just the way they are. I also surprisingly like Aphrodite, not just because here name is also a name of a Greek goddess, but because she has character, and I like characters who have character. I like Stevie Rae too, but sometimes she acts a little corny. But even if there was a whole gigantic set of awesome side characters, nothing can make up for how bad Zoey is.

   There was one thing about this book that bothered me. A whole bunch of things happened in a very short amount of time, this book took place in only two days, which is crazy. Some of the scenes the author could of added more depth into, maybe described more.

   This book was super fast paced, actually I have no idea why I couldn't finish it in the first place. So if you read this book and end up not liking it you can just speed your way right through to the end! (It's too bad Zoey doesn't die).

    I absolutely love the covers for this book series, mainly because of the little swirly things all over them. It is just so cool. The reason why I only gave it a 2.5 is because for this book I didn't really like the picture in the middle, seriously, how could that model be 16, but her swirly tattoos are cool. This book is just filled with swirly things!

    This book was really not memorable, except for maybe the cover and the horrible protagonist.

    As you can see, this is not my favorite book in the world. The first book was ok, but not the rest. I seriously hate the main character. I recommend this to fans of Vampire Academy and Twilight.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment