Saturday 1 May 2010

Hazel by Julie Hearn April Book of the Month Review

Genre: Historical Fiction
Age: 12+
Pages: 389
Gender: Female

Plot: 5/5
Detail: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Fast or Slow: 5/5
Enjoyment: 4/5
Cover: 2/3
Memorable: +2

Total: 27/28
Percent: 96%
Grade: A

   This book was really good and enjoyable. The plot was really good. It is about this girl named Hazel, who saw Emily Wilding Davidson's death at the Epsom Derby. After she becomes friends with a American girl from her school named Gloria, Gloria is a little rebelious. She eventually convinces Hazel to do a bold action for women to vote. After, Hazel gets in extreme trouble and is sent off to live with her father's parents in the Caribbean, oh yea and by the way her dad tried to kill himself. There is the Caribbean she learns a family secret that can change her life forever. The details in this story were good too. I just loved how the story was written in Hazel's voice at most times even though it was in third person. I liked how they compared the colors in the Caribbean and in England. I gave the character's a 4/5 because I think the character Gloria should have been in the story longer. She was just there and then she was gone and they didn't ever tell who was writing on the typewriter and Hazel, just didn't care to figure out, that annoyed me a little. Otherwise I thought the characters were really good the character Hazel definety had personality, and Miss Amelia was so coo-coo it was fascinating. The book was really fast, I read about 3 hundred pages yesterday. I gave total enjoyment a 4/5 since I should of read Ivy first, because her mother was the main character in that book. It was enjoyable, but some things were left too open at the end. I think the cover is pretty good, but not the best because I don't really like picture covers. I gave it a +2 for memorable. I will remember it for being a original historical fiction novel. So in all this book was really good. I recommend it too girls who like adventure and historical fiction.

1 comment:

  1. i have not heard of this book before and it sounds lovely! thank you! i will look for it!

    ReplyDelete