Monday 10 May 2010

Sleeping Freshmen Never Lie by David Lubar Book Review

Genre: Realistic Fiction
Age: 12+
Pages: 279
Gender: Male and Female

Plot: 4/5
Detail: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
Fast or Slow: 5/5
Enjoyment: 5/5
Cover: 1/3
Memorable: +1

Total: 25/28
Percent: 89%
Grade: B+

   This was a enjoyable book, that gives you a frightening view of highschool. The plot was pretty good for this book, but sense I am not that fond of realistic fiction, the plot didn't 100% suck me in. The book is about a boy named Scott who is entering highschool with his 3 friends. He hopes that they can all stary friends and have a good time in highschool, but he soon figures out highschool isn't so easy. A lot of homework, a crush that doesn't know you exist, bullies, and your friends leaving you. His mother just also has to be pregnant as well. Scott's year is full of surprises as he drags his way through highschool. The details were just ok, there were some parts that the author could of described better, but I love how he put what Scott was learning in his English class in his writing, it was pretty cool. The characters were very interesting, my favorite were for sure Lee, Mouth, and Wesley, since all the other people were just so normal, like Julia for example. She was so bland and normal. Ew. Lee was so cool, she was different and she had attitude. This book is very fast, we started reading it aloud in school,but I thought a chapter a day was way to short, so I bought it. My family and I were driving to the city and I read the whole thing on the car ride with still an hour to spare. I actually enjoyed it, it caught my attention and held me to the very end. It was a fun, overly exaggerated story. I did not like the cover at all, but I guess it fits the book so I gave it a little points. The book was good, but I don't think it was too memorable, but it was a little, so I gave it a +1. In all this book was good, I recommend this book to someone who likes exaggerated realistic fiction.

3 comments:

  1. I read this last year and remember really liking it. I thought it was funny. And I liked how Scott was writing to his unborn sibling, giving him/her tips for highschool. I agree, a chapter a day does sound pretty slow! It's a tear-through-it kind of read. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog, I like the little bookshelf you have in the sidebar too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a great blog for those who need to do book reports! haahaa

    ReplyDelete