Sunday 23 May 2010

In My Mailbox (1)

Ok this is my first In my Mailbox post. It is hosted by the wonderful blog The Story Siren . So go and check it out. Oh yes, I am not doing just books I got this week I will be doing anything that is a book, movie, or cd. But I usually only get just books if I get anything at all.


(Sorry for the quality, I have a bad camera.)

Bought off of Barnes and Noble Online

A Spy In The House (The Agency) by Y.S. Lee
This is a colourful, action-packed Victorian detective novel centred around the exploits of 'agent' Mary Quinn. At a young age, Mary is rescued from the gallows by a woman masquerading as a prison warden. She is taken to Miss Scrimshaw's Academy for Girls. The school, Mary learns, is a front for a private investigation agency and, at 17, she is taken on as an agent. In her new role she is catapulted into the family home of the Thorolds to investigate the shady business dealings of Mr Thorold.
(from fantasticfiction.co.uk)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
The novel focuses on the romance between Jane and Rochester, but Bronte clearly reveals a feminist message through a heroine arguing for sexual equality and refusing to adhere fully to the restrictive expectations of early Victorian society.
(from fantasticfiction.co.uk)

We Hear the Dead by Dianne K Salerni
It started out as a harmless prank. But soon enough, spiritualism was the fastest growing movement of the nineteenth century, and Maggie Fox was trapped in a life of deceit.
Meticulously researched by the author, We Hear the Dead reveals the secret of how the Fox sisters faked their rapping sounds and their motives for inventing the séance and founding spiritualism.
Maggie:
I began the deception when I was too young to know right from wrong. No one suspected us of any trick, because we were such young children. We were led on by my sister purposely and by my mother unintentionally. Only with the passing of time did I come to understand the consequences of my actions. As Doctor wrote to me: "Weary, weary is the life by cold deceit oppressed."
Kate:
My sister has used the word "deception." I object to her use of that word, for I do not believe that I have ever intentionally deceived anyone. Maggie has a different understanding of all the events that have happened since that night in Hydesville forty years ago. To her the spirits were always a game. For my sister Leah, they were a means to an end. For my mother, a miracle. And for me, they were my life's calling. I have no regrets.
(from fantasticfiction.co.uk)

Ginger Snaps (Movie)
A movie that compares turning into a werewolf to puberty. One of the best movies ever

Mom Bought for Me

The King's Rose by Alisa M Libby
Life in the court of King Henry VIII is a complex game. When fifteen-year-old Catherine Howard catches the king's eye, she quickly transforms from pawn to queen. But even luxury beyond imagination loses its luster as young Catherine finds her life - and her heart - threatened by the needs of an aging king and a family hungry for power. Will their agendas deliver Catherine to the same fate as her infamous cousin, Anne Boleyn - sacrificed at the altar of family ambition?
Engaging historical fiction with a throbbing YA heartbeat, this thrilling novel will draw readers into the intrigues and dangers of the Tudor court.
(from fantasticfiction.co.uk)

The Year of the Hangman by Gary Blackwood
In 1776, the rebellion of the American colonies against British rule was crushed. Now, in 1777-the year of the hangman-George Washington is awaiting execution, Benjamin Franklin's banned rebel newspaper, Liberty Tree, has gone underground, and young ne'er-do-well Creighton Brown, a fifteen-year-old Brit, has just arrived in the colonies. Having been shipped off against his will, with nothing but a distaste for English authorities, Creighton befriends Franklin, and lands a job with his print shop. But the English general expects the spoiled yet loyal Creighton to spy on Franklin. As battles unfold and falsehoods are exposed, Creighton must decide where his loyalties lie... a choice that could determine the fate of a nation.
(from fantasticfiction.co.uk)

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, Ginger Snaps! Love that film. Great week - happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We Hear the Dead looks so good!! I tried to read Year of the Hangman but couldn't get into it. Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you got some great books! I found you on the blog hop, love your blog!

    ReplyDelete