Friday 23 April 2010

Distant Waves: A Novel of the Titanic by Suzanne Weyn Book Review

Genre: Historical Fiction, Fantasy, Romance
Age: 12+
Pages: 319
Gender: Female
Publication Year: 2009

Plot: 5/5
Description: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Developed: 4/5
Fast Paced: 5/5
Cover: 3/3

Score: 27/28
Percent: 96%
Grade: A

    Wow this book was amazing, I loved it. I actually like the grade I gave it on the new system. Warning, even though the title of this book mentions the Titanic, very little of this book mentions the Titanic, but it was a great book anyway. There was a little bit of everything in it, adventure, romance, supernatural, historical elements, it was a book of many topics. It was totally mesmerizing. The plot was just great. It is about 5 sisters who live in a place called Spirit Vale where their mother contact spirits and believes in science. Though as the main character, Jane gets older her and her sister stop believing in her mother. The main character Jane grows up keeping track of a man named Nikola Tesla, who is a inventor who she met when she was four. She also is fond of the Sherlock Holmes book series. When she gets older her sister, Mimi becomes restless of Spirit Vale and Jane enters a newspaper contest and is going to write an article about Tesla. So the two sisters goes to New York where Mimi decides to work for the rich and famous and where Jane finds love. As the story goes on all five sisters gets on the Titanic with a hint of the fate it has. Also because I didn't mention it earlier two of the other sisters have wicked abilities to speak to the dead. So yeah this plot was pretty good, even though I described it very poorly, there was just so much great things going on. The description was pretty good. How the author described things just sucked me in. I loved all the seances and how the sister sleeped walked. The scenes with Thad and Jane were just awesome. The characters were great. I loved the main character, Jane. I loved the twins Amelie and Emma, they were so interesting. I loved Thad, he was so cool. I loved how they also added some real people into the plot like, Nikola Tesla, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Harry Houdini, and quite a few other people. It is really fascinating. I think the story is pretty good developed, but not 5/5 material. So I gave it a 4/5. They could have stayed on some places longer and described some things more, but otherwise it was pretty good. The author developed the love between Jane and Thad really well. It was very nice and soothing to read after some of the other poor romances. I absolutely wanted to read more. The cover of this book is so pretty, I love it. It is just so great. Anyway I loved this book, even though I have heard some mixed reviews on it, I think it was just great. So I recommend this book to fans of supernatural and historical fiction with a hint of romance.

No comments:

Post a Comment