Saturday 17 April 2010

Magic of Madness by Justine Larbalestier Book Review

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Age: 12+
Pages: 271
Gender: Female
Publication Year: 2005

Plot: 4/5
Description: 5/5
Characters: 4/5
Developed: 4/5
Fast Paced: 3/5
Cover: 3/3

Final Score: 23/28
Percent: 82 %
Grade: B-

    The plot was pretty good, not my favorite but ok. It is about this 15 year old girl named Reason, who grew up in the Australian outback with her mother who taught her to only believe in reasonable things like math and other things like. They were on the run from Reason's "evil" grandmother her supposedly practiced dark magic. When Reason's mother goes crazy, Reason has to live with her creepy grandmother. There she meets a new friend named Tom who believes her grandmother is all good. After Reason finds a truth to one of her mom's stories about her grandmother she tries to run away through the back door of her grandmother's house which the obviously didn't want her to go through. When she steps out she is far away from home in what seems to be a miserable winter land. There she makes a new friend and goes of plenty of adventures. So the plot sounded pretty good to me, but not top notch. The description in this book is pretty good. I expecially love how they described all the dancing people and the dance club. The characters were ok. Some weren't that original and the main character, Reason was annoying to me. I think the author should have told the reader more about the Esmerelda, the grandmother. The best character in my eyes was Tom and they didn't spend nearly enough time talking about him. I think the story had a few parts that weren't developed enough. Like they should of developed the grandmother more and the author didn't develop Blake enough in my eyes, but that is just my opinion. Everything else was pretty well developed. I did not really think this book was fast at all that is why I gave in a 3/5. Some parts extremely bored me. I read the end super fast because it was just extremely boring. I thought the beginning was pretty fast though. Ther cover is absolutely beautiful, actually it is why I chose the book, so I gave it a 3/3. Ok this book is ok, not the best but sometimes entertaining. I would recommend this book to people who love to read urban fantasy without the tons of romance and for people who like Harry Potter.

2 comments:

  1. you know i love how your really blatent and honest i aim to achieve that in my reviews because i feel thats the best kind of reviewer, sounds ok i really count on a book being fast paced so i can devour it, its not the same if its slow, i actually like the name Reason kinda cool hmmm :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea her name was cool. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete