Wednesday 7 April 2010

Fleshmarket by Nicola Morgan Book Review

Genre: Historical Fiction
Age: 13+
Gender: Male
Pages: 206
Publication Year: 2003

Plot: 5/5
Description: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Developed: 4/5
Fast Paced: 5/5
Cover: 2/3

Final Score: 26/28
Percentage: 93%
Grade: A-

     The plot was very good. It is about this boy whose mother dies after getting her breast amputated. He blames the surgeon Dr. Knox. After his mother's death everything in his life starts to crumble. Once having tons of money, his family was dropped into deep poverty. He goes through harder times as the book goes on. Isn't that just just a great plot? I couldn't think of anything better. The description was wonderful. They described everything so precisely. It was weird, since the author described in smells a lot, even though the main character, Robbie, is no Jean- Baptise Grenouille from Perfume, but still it is cool. I love how the author describes where he lives. It sounds absolutely horrible. Disgusting, filthy, dangerous. I don't know how a kid could survive there. The characters were great as well. Exspecially the main character Robbie. I felt so sorry for him, his life was horrible and he just seemed so real. I love how he is not perfect in any way or form, he is far from it. Like in the middle, when he completely looses himself to liquor. The "villian" Dr. Knox was cool too, I loved how Robbie described his voice as being like a violin. It was even cooler that a lot of the characters in the book were real characters. The story was pretty well developed, though I think on some parts the author could have developed it more, but it wasn't that bad, so I still gave it a 4. Fleshmarket went very fast, always exciting and never lingers to long on a singular part. If I didn't have so much homework this week, I would have finished it much quicker. The cover is ok, it fits the book well, but I still think they could of done better. So in all this book got a 26/28 making it a A-. This is a good book for anyone who wants to read about how horrible the 1800s were in Edinburgh, Scotland.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I love your blog and am also a follower. I have a couple of awards for you at:
    http://pbbookends.blogspot.com/2010/04/blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think anyone can be like Grenuille(at least no one I would know.

    ReplyDelete